Thursday, February 9, 2012

I have super powers.

Don't worry if you didn't already know this; I didn't either until just recently.  You see, after Owen was born I spent about 36 hours in the hospital.... during that time we had some wonderful family and friends who helped out A LOT with the big brothers.  Marty also had the opportunity to spend more time at home than normal.  It was then that he discovered that I must have super powers.

While I was in the hospital Marty washed out his first poopy diaper (we use cloth diapers and while Marty regularly changes diapers, under no previous circumstances has he ever washed one out).    I didn't think that leaving a poopy diaper sit around the house until I got home was a good idea, so I encouraged him to take some gloves from the hospital room and wear those to wash out the diaper.  All went well.... until he accidentally flushed a cloth wipe down the toilet.  Whoops.  So, after I was home, he had the opportunity to unseat the toilet in order to remove the cloth wipe.  Thankfully, with some assistance from his dad, it was a success!

It wasn't that incident alone that earned me the honor of possessing super powers.  The moment Marty was aware of the mommy-super-powers was a couple of days after Owen and I came home and he hadn't yet gone back to work.  It was just a standard day in our home..... children screaming, possibly throwing things, using an innocent toy as a weapon, or a sippy cup to crush Cheerios on the tablecloth.... any one or more of those things was likely happening when on top of that came the questions.  You know the big "Why?" questions and the "How does that work?" questions that seem to fill every potentially silent moment in our house.  THAT is when Marty announced that I have super powers.  It made me smile and that comment has really stuck with me.

Then, this week, at about 2am I knocked over my glass of water on my nightstand while feeding Owen.  Marty got out of bed, got a towel and cleaned up the water.  When I told him "thanks" (in my barely awake state) he told me something like "thanks for taking care of our baby".  I think he helps give me super powers.  He also unloads the dishwasher almost every morning.  It might take him 5 minutes, but with the help of our small children, that task could take me all morning.  I have a great husband.

And while I thought it was the coffee that helped me make it through the day, I now stand corrected.  I kind of want to get myself and all my mommy friends capes.  We have Super Powers.  :)

Elijah in March 2010.  He also has super powers.  

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I love reading your site! I really do think we must have super powers sometimes, too.

    Also, in case you're ever interested, we use some flushable liners in our diapers that make it SO much easier, at least for me. Just in case you think that might help your family... you're welcome to try some of ours.

    ReplyDelete