Monday, May 28, 2012

Fast Forward....

Happy Memorial Day!

We enjoyed a fantastic weekend up in the mountains with the Santos family.  It was great fun and exhausting!  Traveling with kids who are two and under requires a lot of stuff (pack-n-play, booster seat, etc, etc) a lot of patience..... and a very small amount of sleep.  The first night there.... I slept from about 10p-11:30p.... and then basically didn't get back to sleep until 5am..... only to wake up again before 7a.  Really.  What in the pants?!?  At about 3am, Marty really wanted to get in the car, drive down the mountain and put the non-sleeping child to sleep in his own bed.  I instead sent Marty down to sleep with the other kids and eventually got said child to go to sleep.

We were discussing this event on the drive back home today.... and how to make it go more smoothly.  In the end, the conclusion we reached was that our children aren't going to be little forever.... and in just a few short years a trip up to the mountains is going to look SOOOO different.

Which got me thinking what this trip will look like in just 5 years.  5 years is not that long.  I mean, it has been 15 years since I graduated high school and that seems like yesterday.  Crap.  I am old.  Anyways, 5 years from now.... the boys will be 5, 7 and 10!!!!  HOLY COW!!!!

I wish I had more pictures, but we have 3 little kids.  We don't have enough hands to also manage a camera most of the time.

In 5 years:

* I won't be trying to strategize how to convince my children to eat a meal.  I will instead be wondering how I am going to afford to feed all 3 of them when they are teenagers.


* Most likely, they won't be playing on Leapsters or LeapPads.... well, maybe the 5 year old will be.  I am sure they will still have some type of electronic device, but it will be much more involved than learning their alphabet.

* No one will be throwing cars off the porch only to try and convince an adult to go get them.

* I won't be taking pictures of my boys' feet.  Unless they are ridiculously dirty or something.... but not because they are cute and tiny.  I also won't be hiking with my favorite baby carrier or with a kiddo in a backpack.


* Dora the Explorer, Aladdin, and Shaun the Sheep will not be the hit movies of the weekend.

* No one will be knocking on the door to my room at 6am saying "mama, mama" and wanting to snuggle in bed with me.  I will probably enjoy my coffee in a much more quiet environment and *hopefully* no one will drop their chewable vitamin in it when I am not looking....  I won't be changing their diapers.... I might still be planning the hikes, but I probably won't be the person leading....  The idea of going to the swimming pool will seem more like a fun adventure than an exhausting excursion (the little boys and I didn't go.... swim diapers and changing clothes, etc, etc was just too much to tackle)....

All in all, the kids just won't need us as much.  We won't be dishing out all their food and wiping their bottoms.  In that quiet morning coffee that I am anticipating in 5 years.... I am going to miss this weekend..... the loud, crazy, screaming toddler throwing his car over the edge of the railing.... the tiny baby feet.... and having the 5 year old boy being the one who was "in charge" instead of the baby of the family.

It is going to go fast. I am going to do my best to enjoy these sleepless nights, baby babbles, and hikes with backpacks.  Love these little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment